You will remember me as...



Can you reminisce the first time we met?
Your first ‘Hi’, and my first reply.
How we shoot out loads of questions.
Retracing back those inquisitions.
Trying to know every bit and pieces of each other.
Our favourite movies, books, and anything in between.
Our likes and dislikes, exes and ohs as young as our teens.
Or the stupidest, weirdest, and craziest thing we ever did.
How we were punished for the misdeed.
Even our dirty little secrets and fantasies.
Or funniest stories.
Did not escape our follies.
Reaching the points of dreams and aspirations.
To our occupations and preoccupations.
The future of our ‘ideals’.
Those unrestrained, honest, and genuine thoughts of you and I.
With a pinch of sarcasm that most people didn't understand but we did.
Oh, we undoubtedly did comprehend.
Like how we read each other's mind.
It felt more like a lifetime.
But it never stopped our queries.
Instead it heightened our curiosities.
And be shocked at the time.
By how time flies so fast with you.
It was a never ending cycle and we enjoyed every bit of it.
Savoured every second.
Knowing it could be our last.
It was amazing and mesmerizing.
And still we couldn't get enough of each other.
The sleepiness unbothered.
But suddenly we parted.
Without saying our last goodbye.
Pondering, what might had happened?
Coincidentally, we met again.
My hands were literally shaking at that time.
Can you imagine the probability of meeting you once more?
It felt surreal or so.
But it happened.
‘Remember me?’ you said.
‘Of course.’ I replied.
How could I ever forget a man I felt connected with in one conversation?
Knowing the odds it might not occur.
Truth be told, I’ve waited for that moment the whole week.
I was willing to take the gamble because I wasn't weak.
To reach out to you despite being meek.
You were always in my mind. Always.
Tucked in a special place.
Hoping against the peculiarity of the situation to bind us.
Every conversation was a sweet surprise.
It felt just right as though as a fulfilled promise.
And I started looking forward to weekends for wonderful discussions.
We both felt happy for the chance meeting.
It was ‘our’ special moment.
Spent hours searching for a glimpse of you.
Oh finally! We found each other.
I could only imagine your smile from ear to ear.
There was so much to learn, to talk about, and to appreciate.
It was definitely our unique way of connecting.
Despite staying anonymous.
There was a sense of charm to it.
Of how we tend to link.
Maybe it is ironic.
But I held on to every word you said.
Like music to my ears.
I was enchanted.
I have grown attached.
Oh dear, it dawned on me.
Notwithstanding how many times I told myself to give up.
I came back because you were there.
No matter how I get annoyed, frustrated, and disappointed.
I searched for a piece of you in every soul I met.
When the days of the week seemed unending, unbearable, and melancholy.
I survived each day.
Thinking of the weekends with you.
Because it made me happy with our shortest conversation.
I was blissfully delighted.
But one day it hit me.
I realised, that it was a virtual reality.
That we will remain as strangers in an alternate world.
The little world, we both created for ourselves.
A world with freedom, unprejudiced eyes, and open curiosity.
An escape from the harsh reality we have come accustomed to.
We were both at the ends of the earth.
And no matter where I end up.
We are still worlds apart.
Never to cross paths in real time.
So how do you say farewell to someone you will never meet?
Well, you don't. You can't.
Because he will always have a home in your heart.
Regardless of the number of times we stray away.
And the 7 billion other people we could possibly meet.
In the end, we embrace each other.
We may not meet in reality but it doesn't mean I cannot wish you the best for this lifetime.
I will forever pray for your happiness and endeavors.
Not because I've grown attached to you but because you deserve it too.
To be happy. Somewhere, with someone, in some undetermined time.
I believe that answers the ‘why’ for everything.
There was a reason why we met over and over.
We didn't need any good byes.
Maybe because you were meant to stay.
We just connected.
And you will remember me.
You will remember me as ‘Das Mädchen im Internet’.

Comments