I am not my Disease.

There are a number of people affected by different illnesses throughout their lifetime. Some may be cured, others overcome and a few to live by. In my case, I have to live with it unless I undergo surgery but my illness isn’t as grave as the others. It is progressive but further damage can be prevented. I’m to dedicate this article for the month of June, the Scoliosis Awareness, that affects 2-3% of the world population.

I knew from the start that this was probably hereditary. And even before I consulted my Doctor, I have already diagnosed myself. I have Idiopathic Scoliosis. The cause is unknown but it usually runs in the family. It does, from my Mom to my sisters. I too, tend to over think this and got so upset when I found out about it by accident. Should I be wearing a brace? How should I do this? A lot of questions started flooding in. So I had to seek medical advice. It may not sound as severe as other diseases but this affects my daily activity. I am to maintain a good range of motion while standing, sitting, and even sleeping. I am only allowed to carry 10% of my body weight as Doctor prescribed and stick to weight management. Other options include Rehab and swimming thrice a week. I have mild Scoliosis, so surgery isn’t necessary.

How I dealt with it? I had to accept the fact that I have it and it won’t go away. It will be with me for the rest of my life. Acceptance is the first step of moving forward. It is one of my imperfections and I embrace it because my imperfection becomes me. Honestly, I did a little research to understand my condition better. When I comprehend the situation I am in, it makes my coping better. Then I followed my Doctor’s advice (some of it). A person must do things to promote quality of life for herself and for others. Today, I still do the things I love.

I am open about my Scoliosis that I later found out there were more affected by it than my initial perception, even in my medical profession. For a moment I was consumed by the disease itself. I shared a few insights with them. It primarily involves the spine. You would see that the back couldn’t be straightened properly with uneven shoulders and a hump usually at the right. Some experience back pain due to their weight, that’s why weight management is included in the regimen. A few impede their breathing when the curve is too extreme and opt for surgery.

This whole experience had taught me to acknowledge and embrace the unexpected situations thrown my way. It is how I understand and cope with this that really matters. My Scoliosis may live with me but it will never defeat nor hinder me for the life I have initially planned. This imperfection partly made me who I am as a human being capable of understanding what others have gone through. And I firmly decide that I have to live out my life the way I wanted it to be and the obstacles to overcome them. I do not want to be consumed by my own ailment and I certainly would not allow my illness to define me. Afterall, I am not my disease. Shout out to my S curve!

Comments